• Groundwater Management Plan
    A Groundwater Management Plan is developed by rural water corporations in line with guidelines specified by the Minister for Water, and signed off by the Minister.

    A Groundwater Management Plan is for an area with a Permissible Consumptive Volume and includes appropriate tools for management such as trading rules, triggers for restrictions and monitoring requirements.
  • Groundwater Management Units
    Groundwater Management Units represent Water Supply Protection Areas and Groundwater Management Areas where a Permissible Consumptive Volume, rules or plans are applied.

    The Permissible Consumptive Volume is a cap on the licensed entitlement declared by the Minister.
  • High-reliability water share (HRWS)
    Legally recognised, secure entitlement to a defined share of water.

    Water shares are classed by their reliability, which is defined by how often full seasonal allocations are expected to be available.

    Allocations are made to high-reliability water shares before low-reliability shares.
  • Hydro-geological or technical assessment
    An assessment of the groundwater resource that has to be done before a new licence is issued or a licence transfer is approved.
  • Infrastructure access fee
    A fixed charge that applies for each megalitre of delivery share.

    The infrastructure access fee contributes to the costs of providing the irrigation infrastructure network, eg channels, pipes, automated gates.
  • Irrigation area
    A geographic area with defined boundaries where water is distributed using pipes and channels owned and operated by a water corporation.
  • Irrigation development guidelines
    Operate in the Goulburn Broken, North Central, Mallee and North East catchments of northern Victoria to maintain standards for sustainable irrigation development.

    They support landholders and authorities to meet irrigation planning and licensing requirements.

    The guidelines are triggered by certain situations involving applications for water-use licences or variations to existing licences, and applications for works licences for irrigation.
  • Irrigation district
    A legal entity declared under the Water Act 1989. This gives rural water corporations rights and responsibilities to supply water by channels and pipelines mainly for irrigation purposes.

    The Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District is a large district across northern Victoria that includes irrigation areas like Shepparton and Central Goulburn.

    Robinvale, Red Cliffs, Merbein and Mildura irrigation districts combine to form the Sunraysia irrigation area.

    The Macalister Irrigation District is the largest irrigation area south of the Great Dividing Range in central Gippsland.
  • Irrigation season
    See season
  • Licence
    Generally, a shorthand way of referring to a take and use licence.

    This can be confusing, as there are other types of licences – for example, works licences and water-use licences, which are very different entitlements. To avoid confusion, it is better not to use this term by itself.
  • Licence volume
    The volume in megalitres that may be taken under a take and use licence, so long as there are no allocation trades against this take and use licence.
  • Licence volume adjusted for allocation trade
    The volume in megalitres that may be taken under a take and use licence, that has been decreased or increased if the licence holder has sold or bought some water allocation.
  • Limited term transfer
    The transfer of a right to future allocations under a water share for a limited period to the owner or occupier of land specified in a water-use licence or registration.

    This is also referred to as a lease.
  • Local management plan or local management rules
    Local management plans or rules are developed and signed off by rural water corporations, as a delegate of the Minister for Water.

    A local management plan or local management rules are for an area with a Permissible Consumptive Volume and include appropriate tools such as trading rules, triggers for restrictions and monitoring requirements.
  • Low risk of spill declaration
    An announcement made by the resource manager for northern Victoria that there is a low risk of a spill occurring from dams.

    The resource manager looks at volumes in the dams, likely inflows and expected releases.
    If the risk of the dams spilling later in the season is more than 10 per cent, a declaration is not made.

    A low-risk-of-spill declaration is made as soon as the risk is less than 10 per cent.

    The low risk of spill declaration makes carryover water in a spillable water account available for use or trade.

    This is different from a spill announcement.
  • Low-reliability water share (LRWS)
    A water share with a relatively low reliability of supply.

    On all northern Victorian systems except the Broken and Ovens, these will be shares of the available water once there is enough water to meet higher-reliability water shares in the current year, and, with minimum inflows, to meet higher-reliability water shares in the following year.
  • Natural carrier
    A river that is used to deliver irrigation water.
  • Non-consumptive licence
    A licence where you can extract water, but have to put it all back, for example power generation.
  • Non-water user limit
    This limit rule was removed in 2009. Refer also to definition for ‘10% non-water user limit’.

    When a water share was not linked to any land (i.e. it is not linked to a water-use licence or registration), it was recorded in the historical ‘non water user limit’ for that water system.
  • Notional Rationing Rate
    Refer to the definition of extraction share.