Frequently asked questions

More information about frequently asked questions.

What can I do on this website?

  • Download copies of individual water share, water-use licence/registration and take and use licence records by paying $15.30 each. Payment must be made by credit card.
  • Find out about the distribution of entitlements by water system and trading zone
  • Get information about trading rules and trades that have occurred
  • Sell allocation (on-line allocation trading via the 'My Water' page)
  • Track the progress of your application to trade water allocation
  • Track the progress of your applications to transfer a water share

This website does not provide public access to edit any information stored on the register. This website will be continually developed and improved to provide more information about water trade and accounting. It will generate reports on levels of use, directions of trade, and prices paid.

What is the role of the Victorian Water Registrar?

The Victorian Water Registrar is responsible for recording certain information about water share transactions, including transfers, mortgages, limited term transfers and discharges of mortgage, on the Water Register, and ensuring accuracy, reliability and accessibility of that information. More information can be found on the Water Registrar website.

How do I complete an Application to Trade Water Allocation (Form 39)?

The Application to Trade Water Allocation (Form 39) is available from the Forms and fees section of the website, or from your local water corporation.

The form is uniquely numbered and requires the details of the water being traded (volume, total trade value), as well as the details of the allocation account from which the water is being traded, and the details, including the name of one of the holders, of the allocation account the allocation is being traded into.

The application form must be signed by all the owners (sellers) of the allocation, or a third party authorised to act on behalf of the owners. No signature is required of the buyer.Further detailed information is provided on the form itself, and your water corporation or broker will also be able to help.

How do I complete applications for other transactions (eg. transfer of a water share)?

Uniquely numbered application forms can be obtained from the Forms and fees section of the website, or from your local water corporation

How is my application coming along?

An application for trade of allocation or transfer of a water share can be tracked on the Water trading>status-of-trading-applications section of the website. You will require the application number.

What do I need to do if I am selling my property and want to transfer the water and land to the purchaser?

There is now an easier way to re-organise or sell water as part of a land sale. Water corporations can help you package all relevant water services into one simplified application. More

What is a WEE number?

A Water Entitlement Entity (WEE) number is a unique number used to identify your water share in the register. Your WEE number is used on any applications to trade your water share.

Where can I get a company extract?

If the seller of the water share is a company, a company extract that is not more than 12 months old must be attached to the application. A company extract can be obtained on-line from for a fee of approximately $20.

If you do not have access to the internet your broker or accountant should be able to access a copy on-line. However, they may charge for this service. You should check with your broker or accountant.
Water authorities will accept photocopies of your company extract. You should retain a copy for 12 months.

I purchased a water share and the transfer was recorded by the Water Registrar on the same day that seasonal allocation was issued to the water share. Why was the allocation not issued to my account?

Seasonal allocations made against a water share are credited into the allocation account that is linked to the water share at midnight. This is done so that all water share transfers that are recorded on the day of the allocation announcement are treated equally in relation to water allocations.

If I purchase a water share, when can I use water?

Water cannot be used until it is credited to your allocation account. If the purchase was made before the opening of the irrigation season, any allocations made against your newly acquired water share in the coming season will be credited to your account, and can then be used.

If the purchase was made mid-season, any allocations made after the purchase is finalised will be credited to your allocation account, and may be used. Allocations may also be traded from other allocation accounts, for instance from the seller of the property, and can be used once that trade is completed.

What are the current water prices?

The price of water is determined by the market, and details of each trade, including price paid, are recorded on the register.

Based on this some statistical information about water prices, number of trades and volumes traded, for both water share and allocation trades, is available from the Water Trading Information > Water Shares and the Water Trading section of the website. Price information is also available from water brokers and exchanges.

Where can I find information about current irrigation system allocations?

Goulburn-Murray Water can provide information about current allocations in northern Victoria, while Southern Rural Water provides the allocation announcements for the regulated systems in southern Victoria. A summary of allocations in the unbundled Victorian systems can be found in the Water-availability-and-use > Seasonal Determinations section of the website.

Where can I trade my allocation to?

Trade within a trading zone is generally unrestricted. Trade between zones, and interstate trading, is governed by trading rules, which can be found in the Water Trading Information > Rules and Maps section of the website.

Why do interstate trades of allocation take longer?

Allocation trades within Victoria occur in a single water register, and so are quicker than interstate trades. Interstate trades require the approval of water authorities in both States, following a protocol agreed between governments under the Murray Darling Basin Agreement.

Why doesn't the allocation transfer over when a water share transfer is completed?

Seasonal allocations made against a water share are credited into the allocation account of the owner of that water share, and remain in that account for the duration of the irrigation season, or until the water is used or sold.

If the water share is traded to a new owner, any allocations made after the transfer is completed will be credited to the allocation account of the new owner.

Carryover resources

Numerous resources are available to help you understand carryover and to answer any queries you may have.

What are my rights and obligations for taking and using water?

You can find out more about your rights and obligations;

  • on your licence or entitlement
  • from the water entitlements pages on this website
  • from your water corporation’s website
  • or by contacting your rural water corporation

How do water corporations monitor compliance?

Water corporations routinely

  • read meters outside of scheduled meter reads
  • make spot checks for illegal bores, works and meter tampering
  • carry out inspections to see if water is being used illegally
  • confirm licence details
  • inspect dams to ensure that enough water is being passed on downstream.

Officers appointed by your water corporation will investigate any suspected breach and decide on a suitable response. If an offence is proven the response may include court action.

What are the penalties for offenders?

Penalties for unlawfully taking water, interfering with metering equipment and unlawfully constructing works are decided by the courts in line with the Water Act.

Penalties are expressed in penalty units (pu), which are updated each year.

For example, the penalty for the first offence of unauthorised use of water is a maximum of 60pu. At July 2014 this is equal to $8,856 or up to six months in jail.

What can I do if I think someone else is doing the wrong thing?

Anyone who suspects a breach of the water laws is encouraged to contact their water corporation.