Understanding other water rights

A water user in Victoria may hold one of the following entitlements, licences or approvals, depending on the circumstances:

  • Supply-by-agreement – an agreement between the water corporation and the customer to supply water
  • Water allowance – issued by a water corporation to a customer in certain Water Supply Districts
  • Private right – a right to take water for stock-and-domestic use only, under section 8 of the Water Act 1989

Get a copy of an individual record

Records of these special entities are kept in the Victorian Water Register in some cases – please check with your water corporation for more information:

  • Coliban Water
  • Goulburn-Murray Water
  • Grampians Wimmera-Mallee Water
  • Lower Murray Water
  • Melbourne Water
  • Southern Rural Water